About Me

Monday, January 31, 2011

Standing in your own way

Over the years I've often wondered why I struggle with learning new concepts or with difficult tasks. I consider myself to be bright, yet I'd rather play it safe and do the things I know I'm good at rather than risk failing in a new challenge. That's not to say I don't love to learn new things, but I do so best when being mentored and learning in a hands-on way. There is teaching and correcting, there are illustrations, demonstrations, explanations, and practice exercises. I don't feel alone while exploring and I know there is a safety net.

So what got me thinking about this today? A friend posted a link to this article, The Trouble with Bright Girls. I had an "AHA!" moment. There is a difference in the way girls and boys learn something particularly complex or foreign.
"But in my experience, smart and talented women rarely realize that one of the toughest hurdles they'll have to overcome to be successful lies within.  We judge our own abilities not only more harshly, but fundamentally differently, than men do.   Understanding why we do it is the first step to righting a terrible wrong.  And to do that, we need to take a step back in time.      ....<snipped>....
"Researchers have uncovered the reason for this difference in how difficulty is interpreted, and it is simply this:  more often than not, bright girls believe that their abilities are innate and unchangeable, while bright boys believe that they can develop ability through effort and practice."

You really have to read the article to understand how we are conditioned this way. After all, I don't want to quote the whole thing here and it is worth the read.  But if you're like me, maybe you'll have an "AHA!" moment, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment